Chocolate-covered coconut bars are so yummy and so simple to veganize. They are light, refreshing and a perfect edible gift idea!
8 large bars
Makes in 30 minutes + setting time
For the filling:
- 180g (2 cups) desiccated coconut
- 160ml (51/2 fl oz) coconut cream
- 125g (1/2 cup) coconut oil
- 4 tbsp coconut honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
How to make:
- Line a 23cm (9in) square, loose-bottom cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put all the filling ingredients in your blender and whizz until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
3. Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and push it into the corners.
4. Press the mixture down with the back of a wooden spoon until it’s level, then pop the cake tin into your freezer to set while you melt the chocolate.
5. Melt the chopped chocolate in a heatproof mixing bowl set over a small saucepan of simmering water.
6. When all the chocolate has melted, lift the bowl off the pan and set
aside to cool slightly.
7. Take the chilled filling out of the freezer and slice the coconut into eight bars.
8. Warm your knife under hot water before slicing each time to make this easier.
9. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
10. Use a fork to dip the coconut pieces individually in the chocolate, shake off any excess chocolate and place them on the lined tray.
11. Once you’ve coated all the pieces, pop them in the fridge to set for 2 hours.