One-Pan Pumpkin Leaf Sishebo
- 500 g pumpkin, peeled and sliced into wedges
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely grated
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 1 Knorr Tomato Base Dry Cook-In Sauce
- 30 g (1 cup) tender pumpkin leaves (mekopu), chopped
- 1 x 400 g tin lite coconut milk
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large oven-proof pan or pot, mix the ginger, curry powder, turmeric, and KNORR Tomato Base Dry Cook In Sauce.
- Add the pumpkin wedges, drizzle with olive oil and toss well to coat.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden and soft.
- Remove from the oven and add the pumpkin leaves (mekopu) and coconut milk. Stir to combine.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes to reheat (you could do this on a stovetop to save time).
- Serve with steamed rice.
Recipes we’re loving:
Chef Mokgadi Itsweng’s Dikgobe Bowl with Grilled Mushroom Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce
Dikgobe is a sorghum grain and cowpea risotto. This is the traditional way that sorghum and beans were once eaten. Over the years, sorghum was replaced by corn to create the now traditional samp and beans that we enjoy as a staple in our diet.
Superfood Protein Smoothie Bowl
This mood-boosting superfood protein smoothie bowl is not only super healthy and delicious, but also high in protein, rich in antioxidants and vegan friendly.
Chef Tamsin Snyman’s Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin
Pumpkins were grown in Africa long before the Cape was colonized, and its popularity endures to this day. Rural communities cook pumpkin simply – sliced and boiled, or cooked with maize kernels, pap (maize meal) or beans. Early Dutch cooks mashed pumpkin with butter, sugar and cinnamon; this is an adaptation of that idea.
Avocado & Hummus Frozen Lollies
Plant-based iced treats have been predicted as the hottest (or coldest) food trend for 2023!
Discovering 4 Cape indigenous ingredients
Try this slaaitjie from Cape wild foods expert, Loubie Rusch. It contains deliciously juicy tart leaves from 3 succulent plants: sea pumpkin, sunrose and spekboom and the vegan ricotta balls are flavoured with fragrant wild rosemary.
Baked kelp ravioli filled with pesto on fresh tomato sauce with vegan parmesan and olive oil. Phil Mansergh of The Kelp Shack presents a completely unique method (developed by Phil) using the kelp frond as “nature’s ravioli”.
Cape Spice Soga Grapefruit & Rasberry Fiz
Sweet, sour, spicy and fizzy – and a gorgeous coral colour – try this delicious cocktail by renowned mixologist and cocktail specialist, Owen O’ Reilly.
Food that fuels your purpose
In this recipe certified Ayurvedic Nutritionist, Michele Mistry uses Ayurvedic Spices for flavour and health and to help counteract the destabilising extremes of Autumn – Vata season.
Thai Satay Sweet Potato Salad
Try this tasty Thai Satay Sweet Potato Salad for an exotic yet easy summer lunch. Sweet potatoes are wonderfully delicious and nutrient rich.
Chocolate-covered coconut bars are so yummy and so simple to veganize. They are light, refreshing and a perfect edible gift idea!