Here’s a healthier, omega- 3 and fibre-filled version of this delectable french tart, sure to be a favourite to enjoy a slice with loved ones. This is also a vegan, gluten-free and delectable quiche! Feel free to play with fillings, this one is a balance of particularly heart beneficial ingredients, the “Queen of Hearts”.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need:
For the crust:
- 2 tbsp B-well Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds/chia seeds
- 2 ½ tbsp water
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp water, as needed
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp B-well Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets, cut slim
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 x 30g block firm tofu, drained or 2 x Zucchini, chopped
- 2tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
How to Make:
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and spray B-well Baking Spray on a 25cm² quiche or oven dish.
- Combine the ground flaxseeds/chia seeds and water in a small bowl and set aside. This is your “flax/vegan” egg.
- In a food processor, add the dry ingredients (almond flour, all-purpose flour, nutritional yeast and salt) and pulse to combine. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the B-well Olive oil and flax egg. Add 1-2 tablespoons water as needed until the dough sticks together when you press it between your fingers.
- Crumble the dough into the pan and press the mixture evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Press firmly and evenly. Poke a few holes in the bottom of the crust and blind bake by covering with baking paper and fill with oven beads, dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the rice/beans and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the base from the oven and set aside while you make the filling. Increase the oven temperature to 190˚C.
For the filling:
- In a medium skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of B-well Extra Virgin Olive oil, sauté the garlic and mushrooms over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms soften. Now add the spinach, salt and pepper and stir until the spinach wilts. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the food processor, add the drained tofu (no need to press it), almond milk, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, onion powder, turmeric, lemon zest and salt. Blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the cooked vegetable mixture, and pulse a few times to combine, but don’t blend – you want there to be a lot of texture left.
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread evenly using a spatula. Bake for about 35 minutes, until it’s firm to touch and the crust is golden.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve and enjoy!
*Leftover quiche will save in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Recipe with thanks to our sponsor, B-well Foods
For more delicious plant-based recipes, subscribe to our You Tube Channel HERE!