This red and devilishly divine soup is definitely a power package with bell peppers and chili, rich in the phytochemical, capsaicin – the star element to this meal responsible for the spicy taste. It is incredibly rich in vitamin A, C, E, loaded with antioxidants, minerals and specially contains flavonoids which have shown to assist with respiratory problems.
Red and orange bell peppers, chilies: Rich in vitamin A, C, E, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, manganese and potassium.
Tomatoes and olive oil: Ideal synergy to absorb power-packed lycopene – phytochemical in tomatoes for antioxidant action, cell regulation, immune modulating and immune protection.
Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Need:
- B-well Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 large red tomatoes / 600 g chopped rosa tomatoes / 1 ½ cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large orange pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped and deseeded
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cloves of garlic, whole and unpeeled
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Half a tin of coconut milk, optional
- Salt, to taste
- Habanero/Tabasco/Sweet chili pepper sauce to spice things up!
How to Make:
- Heat the oven to 180˚C.
- In an oven dish, add all the chopped orange peppers, tomatoes, onions and the cloves of garlic, still in their jackets.
- Drizzle with B-well Extra Virgin Olive Oil and roast for 40 min, or until cooked through and slightly charred.
- In a large sauce pan on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp of B-well Extra Virgin Olive Oil and add the coriander seeds. Remove the vegetables from the oven and add to the pan, squeezing the soft garlic from its jacket into the pan (remove casing) and adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the vegetable stock and basil and blend using a hand-blender (you will have to blend ingredients in sections if using a normal blender and then add the mixture back to the saucepan).
- Once blended, stir in the optional coconut cream, add salt to taste and allow to come to the boil before removing from the heat to serve.
- Once done, top with the fresh chopped red peppers, packed with vitamin C when kept raw.
- Serve hot! Enjoy the pleasant flavours, textures and aromas – add your pepper sauce to your heat preference!
For more delicious plant-based recipes, subscribe to our You Tube Channel HERE!