Roselle & Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut cream
- ½ cup xylitol (or sugar)
- 4 tbsp Local Village roselle, blended to a powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Place the coconut cream and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. Whisk for 3-5 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the roselle and whisk to infuse. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Pour the mixture through a sieve to drain the powder from the liquid. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Bring to a simmer, remove from the heat, add the xanthan gum and whisk.
- Pour the ice cream in a container. Allow to come to room temperature before placing it in the freezer for 4-6 hour to freeze.
- To serve, remove the mixture out of the freezer and sit it outside for 5 minutes. Use a hot spoon to scoop the mixture out into bowls using a hot knife.
Recipes we’re loving:
Chef Mokgadi Itsweng’s Dikgobe Bowl with Grilled Mushroom Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce
Dikgobe is a sorghum grain and cowpea risotto. This is the traditional way that sorghum and beans were once eaten. Over the years, sorghum was replaced by corn to create the now traditional samp and beans that we enjoy as a staple in our diet.
Superfood Protein Smoothie Bowl
This mood-boosting superfood protein smoothie bowl is not only super healthy and delicious, but also high in protein, rich in antioxidants and vegan friendly.
Chef Tamsin Snyman’s Cinnamon Roasted Pumpkin
Pumpkins were grown in Africa long before the Cape was colonized, and its popularity endures to this day. Rural communities cook pumpkin simply – sliced and boiled, or cooked with maize kernels, pap (maize meal) or beans. Early Dutch cooks mashed pumpkin with butter, sugar and cinnamon; this is an adaptation of that idea.
Avocado & Hummus Frozen Lollies
Plant-based iced treats have been predicted as the hottest (or coldest) food trend for 2023!
Discovering 4 Cape indigenous ingredients
Try this slaaitjie from Cape wild foods expert, Loubie Rusch. It contains deliciously juicy tart leaves from 3 succulent plants: sea pumpkin, sunrose and spekboom and the vegan ricotta balls are flavoured with fragrant wild rosemary.
Baked kelp ravioli filled with pesto on fresh tomato sauce with vegan parmesan and olive oil. Phil Mansergh of The Kelp Shack presents a completely unique method (developed by Phil) using the kelp frond as “nature’s ravioli”.
Cape Spice Soga Grapefruit & Rasberry Fiz
Sweet, sour, spicy and fizzy – and a gorgeous coral colour – try this delicious cocktail by renowned mixologist and cocktail specialist, Owen O’ Reilly.
Food that fuels your purpose
In this recipe certified Ayurvedic Nutritionist, Michele Mistry uses Ayurvedic Spices for flavour and health and to help counteract the destabilising extremes of Autumn – Vata season.
Thai Satay Sweet Potato Salad
Try this tasty Thai Satay Sweet Potato Salad for an exotic yet easy summer lunch. Sweet potatoes are wonderfully delicious and nutrient rich.
Chocolate-covered coconut bars are so yummy and so simple to veganize. They are light, refreshing and a perfect edible gift idea!