Prep Time: 30 minutes (+ 2 hours soaking time)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
What You’ll Need:
For the Chickpea Burger Patties:
- 1 x 400 g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and pepper
For the avocado Mayo:
- ¾ cup cashews
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Burgers:
- Avocado Chickpea patties
- Greens of choice
- Grated carrot
- Red onion, sliced
- Microgreens or sunflower shoots to garnish
- Buns of choice
How to Make:
- Start by making the avocado mayo: Soak the cashews in water for 2 hours.
- Drain the cashews and add to a blender with the avocados and all other ingredients. Pulse until smooth and store in the refrigerator.
- For the patties: preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the drained chickpeas and avocado in a bowl. Mash with a hand masher until the chickpeas form a rough texture.
- Add the herbs, salt, and nutritional yeast, mix well to combine.
- Form two patties with wet hands and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes and flip halfway through.
- To assemble: place the lettuce or greens of your choice on the burger buns, top with a veggie patty, grated carrot, sliced red onion, and drizzle with the avocado mayonnaise.
- Serve garnished with micro greens or sunflower shoots.
Recipe with thanks to The South African Avocado Growers’ Association.