The vivid yellow colour of this tasty lentil, spinach and coconut soup comes from turmeric, which is said to have many health benefits. Use fresh garlic and ginger for extra zing, and two KNORR Vegetable Stock posts for excellent depth of flavour. Both lentils and spinach are ingredients on our list of Future 50 Foods, as are the walnuts used to garnish this delicious vegetarian dinner.
What You’ll Need:
- 30ml olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15ml finely grated fresh ginger
- 5ml cumin
- 10ml turmeric
- 300g carrots, chopped
- 150g celery stalks, chopped
- 200g uncooked red lentils
- 2 x 400g tins light coconut milk
- 400g chopped ripe tomatoes
- 500ml water
- 2 x KNORR Vegetable Stock Pot
- 200g spinach, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh lemon juice
- 80g walnuts, roughly chopped
How to Make:
- Heat the olive oil in a pot. Add the onions and fry over a medium-low heat until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for one more minute.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, carrot, celery and red lentils, and fry gently for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chopped tomatoes and water, then stir in the contents of the two KNORR Vegetable Stock Pots.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
- Using a stick blender or liquidiser, purée the soup, but don’t over-process it: keep it quite chunky.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer until the spinach has just wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Just before you serve the soup, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, for freshness.
- Dish the soup into heated bowls and garnish with chopped walnuts.
For more delicious plant-based recipes, subscribe to our You Tube Channel HERE!